Saturday, October 09, 2004

Rachel Had The Baby!

Congratulations to Rachel and Kevin who, today, gave birth to "baby girl!" She now has a name! Devon Sloane McDonald was born in the wee hours of this morning and weighed in at 7lbs, 10oz. Rachel has been waiting ever so patiently, but Devon could not wait until her predicted birthday. Instead of the planned breast cancer walk, Rachel, I'm sure, was wandering the halls of the maternity ward this morning. She went into labor early Friday morning and now has a beautiful baby girl to show for all her hard work. I haven't seen her yet, but I'm hoping to get to the hospital tomorrow, and I'll be sure to report back. I'll save the pictures and any other details for Rachel.

So many things to report on. I was an exhausted wreck all week, so I never even got around to writing about how great Knitting Group was on Monday. The location had been changed from the Java Station to Andersen's Restaurant and Bakery as it seems that, lately, coffee houses just don't like making money off of knitting groups that inhabit them every week and have started closing at the shocking hour of 5:30! So we had a great time without the coffehouse staff and took up the entire upper floor of the restaurant. I don't think anyone got much done as we chatted the evening away. Very soon I'll be adding links to all "the girls'" blogs. There was a whole group of people I didn't even know knew I HAD a blog. Next thing I know, I'm finding myself linked on their own sites! It was so cool! Among the gang, I even met a girl from my high school class! I didn't recognize her at first, but we talked, and she's really cool. Hi Summers!

Here are some pics of that night.


Here is Rachel in her pre-delivery, "Damn it's really hot up here!" pose and Kelly, blissfully unaware. Posted by Hello


This is one of the Future Knitters of America! How amazingly cute is this little girl?! I could barely stand it! Posted by Hello


There is one more picture that will show up at the bottom of this post, as it is not cooperating. I'll fix it later. I tried to get a decent start on my fingerless gloves, but there was too much to talk about to focus on the gloves, so I started a new beanie in a chunky, olive green. When I get enough on it to show you, I'll post it.

I guess I should know this from my own perceptions about people, but it always amazes me when people tell me about their perceptions of me (in high school or otherwise). I NEVER considered myself one of the cool kids and had NO sense of style in high school. I wore goofy shorts and screenprint T-shirts every single day, unless it was raining, and then I wore jeans that were way too short because pants manufacturers had not yet figured out that some of us measure taller than 5'7". Anyway, in talking to Summers at Andersen's, she mentioned that she had always equated my shorts-wearing self as being comfortable in my body. I was 6' tall at 16. There is no comfort for 16 a year-old with that kind of height who can't play sports. Trust me. Who would have guessed that other people I considered way more cool than myself would be envious of me and my band-geek boyfriend? This world is a strange place we live in. Makes the idea of my 10-year reunion next year very intriguing!

2 Comments:

At 9:36 AM , Blogger Amie said...

Isn't it funny to hear how differently people see us? I remember always feeling like I'd screwed everything up, and I remember messing something up in a particularly humiliating way and one of the "cool" kids (I thought) said "wow, you never make any mistakes. I'm glad I saw that, I feel better about myself now".

I don't remember what I did, but I remember being blown away that he had felt like he messed up a lot around me.... It was shocking...

 
At 11:04 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Melissa, Yes, I got "due" instead of "do," I do stuff like that all the time. This thesis is going to be a major grind. I'm glad to know you have gone through it and are on the home stretch!

Patti
"Red Velvet Cake"

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home