Sunday, October 03, 2004

Buttons!

I just noticed that a lot of my latest posts have begun with B's lately. Why is that I wonder? Just in case you hadn't noticed yet, I FINALLY have some buttons in the sidebar that you are welcome to steal for your very own blog. The only thing I noticed is that they're a little longer than most, so if they're too big let me know, and I'll shrink them down. (I made them myself! Aren't they cute?)

Anyway, not a whole lot happened this weekend. We went out to see a very random movie on Saturday, that, Dad, I think you should see. It was called Shaun of the Dead, and wow was this movie hilariously bizarre. It's out of the UK, so we already know that their attempts at humor are going to be a little different, but if I had to describe it, I would say it was like Night of the Living Dead meets A Fish Called Wanda. If anybody else has seen it, they can affirm or deny this. I have to say that, despite the guts and gore, I laughed my ass off! A strict warning however: This movie is NOT for everyone!

Last night we had Jeff and Denise (Mom's second husband and his wife) over for dinner and had a great time. Greg made 40-clove garlic chicken (OMG, that stuff is so good!), and we all had a really nice, quiet evening at home. We watched K-PAX and talked about when I was in Jr. high (ugh) and showed the house to some prospective buyers right in the middle of dinner!

Today was a little more adventurous. We are going to a party in LA, Friday the 29th, called the Bondage Ball. We have friends, Sam and Paul, who go to these kinds of parties all the time and finally are going to get to join them. They're crazy, rave-like lust-fests where everyone is in costume and everything is MORE than an eye-full. So, Greg and I went to seek out costumes today and met with incredible success. Needless to say, if I ever wore this outfit to school, I'd be immediately discharged! Don't worry though. I won't be wearing it to the Kindergarten Halloween Parade. I'll wait to post pictures of it until we actually go to the party because I'm hoping to surprise Sammy and Paul. It's hot! Very hot!

This whole thing brings up weird issues with me. Being a teacher is a strange experience when it comes to the kinds of expectations that you are held to. Teachers are not supposed to curse, or be wild, or sexual, or any other manner of being that does not display the most supreme conservativism. At least that's the vibe we've all gotten over the years. It's like not wanting to think of your parents as ever having had sex. Nobody wants to think about it. But I'm thinking as I'm typing this, "What if one of my parents or students was to see this or any pictures of me at this party, or even at a bar for crying out loud!" Am I allowed to drink? Am I crazy?! Parents of small children please chime in here! Should I keep these kinds of things to myself when, really, the whole idea of this blog was to start it for myself? Other people were invited as an afterthought. Whatever the case, we're going, and it will be fun, and I'll probably tell you about it and post very crazy pictures.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the whole knitting thing for a minute. I got zero real knitting done this weekend, but I'm planning on going to Java Station tomorrow, so maybe I'll actually start something fun. I'm thinking fingerless gloves are going to be the next things on my needles. I did a swatch with some really pretty yellow yarn that was spot on for the gauge for the gloves in Weekend Knitting, so I'll let you know what happens.

Nite everyone!

4 Comments:

At 1:31 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Melissa,
It is Chauntel, from the Java Station group. I just thought as a parent with small kids in k & 2nd grades, I would share my thoughts. I do think the blog is for you & your thoughts, pictures, ideas. If you don't give out the address & some parents just happen upon it I don't think any of them would be shocked at what they saw. Unless you are planning something really bizarre I think you are allowed a life outside of work. One of my close friends is a first grade teacher & she has a sailors vocabulary outside of work & yep, she even has sex!! So I say you do what you gotta do!

 
At 4:10 PM , Blogger caramelknits said...

Thanks everyone! I was stressing last night about having even said anything about my concerns, but you just never know who's out there.

You've made me feel much better. :)

 
At 7:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yea!!! You got Buttons. Great job on them! I think I will steal one.

Just remember...always be yourself!!! Don't ever care what other people think. :-)

Eilene

 
At 8:05 PM , Blogger Steve said...

Well, since you asked...

I wouldn't post the "interesting" stuff i.e. bondage parties, drinking, et al. While harmless on the surface, a problem parent could easily point out your "lack of character" and you'll feel heat from your administrators. And you'll eventually have a ticked off parent. And working with women in my profession, your character will be called into major question at work. All behind your back of course!

Worse case, if you're ever accused of abuse, a lawyer could cite your after-hour activities as circumstantial evidence.

[In my corporate days, people have been "let go" by posting less-than-positive reviews of their bosses just to cite an example.]

CYA Steve

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home