Thursday, September 30, 2004

Bleh!

Well, I'm still sick and miserable, so I've called in reinforcements for tomorrow. Dum dum dum...a sub. Poor thing. The school has a fund raiser assembly tomorrow, so the kids are going to be nutso afterward. Of course, they planned the thing for first thing in the morning, so good luck to her! Today we had a bus evacuation drill! Oh, wasn't that fun! They had five year olds actually jumping out the side of the school bus and then they wanted us to teach? It was pure mayhem for all the K teachers today.

For those of you who don't understand why all this is, let me explain. Kids of this age and stage of education thrive on routine! They need to know what's happening when, without huge disruption. Anything that causes deviation from routine leaves the door open for throwing the whole day out of whack. This week our class has had something thrown into our morning routine every single day. We usually do language groups in the morning, but Monday we started computer lab, Tuesday was the earthquake, Wednesday we had to go to the library where K's are not allowed to check out books, today was the bus drill, and tomorrow is the assembly. So their routine has at least been consistently out of whack! All this added to my cold finally allowed me to give up today and take tomorrow off. Yay sleep!

Despite my sour complaining, I REALLY love my class. My students are so sweet. My work day consists of constant "I love you's" and hugs. They crack me up far more often than they make me angry, and who wouldn't love to get paid to fingerpaint, glue macaroni, and sing? I love teaching K, and that's weird. It's the grade I was always the most afraid of. I never thought I'd want to teach it, but I'm loving every minute of it... OK, not every minute of it. I would love to be able to give them something to do for ten minutes once in a while and have a few minutes of quiet, but such is life right? Something's got to give, and I have twenty smiling little faces that sing "Good morning Mrs. Compton" in unison every morning! Everyone should have a start to their morning that nice!

Since it's been an eternity since the last knitting pic, I'd thought I'd finally grace you with the mostly-finished Zeeby's Bag. I just have to line it, and yes I know that it's wider than the picture. I made it that way on purpose specifically for Bertha. Remember her?

Here it is! Posted by Hello



Here's the $22 sewing machine that's going to help me line the bag. Wish me luck. It's really little and super cute. I've never really sewn with much success before so I'll have to practice first. Posted by Hello



Lastly, I thought I'd post some gratuitous pictures of the kitties. They're at my inlaws to keep the dingdong real estate agents from letting them escape all day. I'm missing them terribly. :( Charlie got his annual haircut and is so velvety soft that I'm considering renaming him Velvet Jones. It's a good look for him, you think?

Charlie sez, "Aaaahhhh..." Posted by Hello



Charlie and Lucy caught hanging out together without killing each other. I really think they fight just to put on a show for us. I'm sure they're really like this all day while we're gone. Posted by Hello


Hope you're all having a great week. I'll try to be back tomorrow.

1 Comments:

At 10:08 PM , Blogger Melicrious said...

so glad you are blogging again mel! Its great to hear about your class and it makes me want to be a teacher even more! Zeeby turned out great and I really love the colour combo too. meanwhile what is the "bonus boni" you get with the sewing machine??

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home