Saturday, November 13, 2004

Craving Fiber!!!

OMG! Was I ever!

I first wanted to take this moment to say one thing...


FREE AT LAST! FREE AT LAST!...

Yeah, you know the rest. My thesis is officially done, turned in, and out of my hands forever! Hallelujah! I can't even tell you how amazingly good it feels. Better than sex, you might ask? Probably not, but maybe close. :) (Sorry, Dad.) Just one more day of class on the 20th, with not nearly as much work to do for it, and I'm done. After all my classmates and a couple of other friends are coming over to celebrate with lots of food and drink. Yay!

I really think that school was starting to affect my personality, and it was definitely affecting my health. For about a week I was having these really scary heart palpitations and feeling like crap. I was moody, tired, depressed, anxious, and just basically ready to quit. It didn't help that I had Parent/Teacher conferences the same week that my thesis is due, but they've gone away now, and I finally feel as if I'm coming back to life. I caught myself laughing last night and hadn't realized till then how long it had been. That was really scary.


Last night, I picked up a pair of needles after not touching them for the last MONTH! I sat down, got going on a beanie, and refused to go to bed until it was finished. If I weren't still in my pajamas at noon, I'd take a picture to show you, but I'm too lazy and will take one tonight for sure anyway. It's pretty cute. Olive green and the first thing I've ever made without any sort of pattern at all. Not the most fancy thing I've ever made, but it felt so good to be knitting again. Now it's time to get back into Knit Nites. I'm going on Monday, so I hope to see a lot of you there.

On with the updates for the last month!

So many things have been happening, it feels like way more than a month since I've been really active with my blog.

This month, Greg started work on "the Wall." I don't think he entirely knew what a huge job it was going to be as he is fixing the retaining wall that spans our entire back yard.

Here's a before pic:


Guys digging a trench behind the 12ft. wall. See how the top is leaning?
Posted by Hello



Here's the after shot:

Yes, the whole thing came crashing down while they were digging and landed all over our backyard. It then proceeded to rain that night, and we waited for the landslide that never came.
Posted by Hello


Next came Halloween. If you're lucky enough to know me, you know I went to the previously-mentioned party and had a great time. At school, I gave in at the last minute and decided to dress up. In retrospect, I'm glad I did. I had the happiest class of four- and five-year olds in the entire school.

Me as Snow White with my favorite student. Sorry for the faceless mermaid.
Posted by Hello

Pretty good, eh?


Eleven days later, a very tired and stressed out teacher/student went to class and turned in the bane of her existence. A couple more weeks would have been the death of me. After our presentations were finished and our papers turned in, it was time to celebrate, but the real party will be next Saturday when our last class is finished. Everyone's heading over here for a "Thank God It's Over" party. Let's just say that the margaritas will be flowing and leave it at that, shall we? I'll be sure to take pictures.

Here are pictures from Chili's on Thursday night:

These are the girls from our cluster at ULV, Ven T-7. We celebrated our new found freedom with fried cheese, dessert, and drinks at Chili's and had a great time.
Posted by Hello

We've become a pretty tight group over the last two years. Don't know what I would've done without them.


Devon (classmate), Valerie (professor), and I. Mmm...Scooby Snack.
Posted by Hello



Anyway, I'm glad it's over and glad to feel normal again. My big focuses for the next two months: Knit as much as I possibly can and spend time with all those I have had to ignore for the last two.

Sorry I've been gone for so long. It's good to be back.

Oh yeah, and in honor of Thuy, I leave you with this:

kitty haiku:

The food in my bowl

Is old, and more to the point

Contains no tuna.



So you want to play.

Will I claw at dancing string?

Your ankle's closer.


There's no dignity

In being sick - which is why

I don't tell you where.



Seeking solitude

I am locked in the closet.

For once I need you.



Tiny can, dumped in

Plastic bowl. Presentation,

One star; service: none.



Am I in your way?

You seem to have it backwards:

This pillow's taken.



Your mouth is moving;

Up and down, emitting noise.

I've lost interest.



The dog wags his tail,

Seeking approval. See mine?

Different message.



My brain: walnut-sized.

Yours: largest among primates.

Yet, who leaves for work?


Most problems can be

Ignored. The more difficult

Ones can be slept through.



My affection is conditional.

Don't stand up,

It's your lap I love.



Cats can't steal the breath

Of children. But if my tail's

Pulled again, I'll learn.



I don't mind being

Teased, any more than you mind

A skin graft or two.



So you call this thing

Your "cat carrier." I call

These my "blades of death."



Toy mice, dancing yarn

Meowing sounds. I'm convinced:

You're an idiot.

(Author Unknown)

2 Comments:

At 9:26 AM , Blogger Amanda said...

Glad to see you are back!! I was hoping you'd finish up that thesis and get back to knitting!! Don't you feel relieved that it's over?

 
At 8:41 AM , Blogger erin said...

Congratulations!!! And I TOTALLY understand. I just turned in the second (and my goodness, I hope final!) draft of my thesis this morning around 1. It's just one of those unparalleled reliefs.

Hope to see you Wednesday!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home